Low-Fat Bran Apple Muffins
Apple, prunes and brown sugar add a sweet touch to these flavorful muffins. Serve them for breakfast or as a healthy afternoon snack.
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup bran cereal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup puréed pitted prunes
2 large egg whites
1 tablespoon molasses
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and grated
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Grease a muffin tin.
- In a small bowl combine buttermilk, bran and baking soda; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream together brown sugar and prunes; beat in egg whites and molasses. Stir in buttermilk mixture, flour, apple and salt; blend thoroughly.
- Spoon batter evenly into muffin tin.
- Bake 20 minutes or until centers are set. Cool in the pan 15 minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
Makes 12 muffins.