A braided, cardamon-scented sweet yeast bread topped with sugared almonds.
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1 1/4 cups milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 large egg
1/4 cup chopped almonds
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm milk. Set aside.
- Mix together 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup sugar, salt, melted butter, cardamom, and 1 cup flour. Add the yeast mixture. Add up to 3 cups flour to make a firm dough. Place in a greased, covered bowl and let rise about 1 hour.
- Knead on a floured surface. Cut into three equal parts and roll into long ropes. Braid into a long loaf. Let rise again 30 minutes, covered on a greased baking sheet.
- Brush with beaten egg, sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar, and chopped almonds.
- Bake in preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 15 to 20 minutes.
Makes 1 loaf.