Molasses Spice Oat Muffins
Low-fat spiced molasses oat muffins with a zesty orange glaze.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup applesauce, any type
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons orange juice
1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Grease or line 12 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups.
- For muffins: In a large bowl combine dry ingredients in large bowl, mixing well. In a medium bowl, combine milk, molasses, oil and egg, mixing well. Stir in applesauce. Add to dry ingredients all at once; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.)
- Fill muffin cups three fourths full.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes; remove from pan.
- For glaze: In a small bowl combine all ingredients, mixing until smooth. Drizzle over muffins.
- Serve warm.
Makes 12 muffins.