Mom's Basic Muffins with Variations
"These muffins are a favorite in our family. Enjoy them for breakfast, lunch, dessert or just for a snack." Recipe submitted by Laura Miller from Johnson City, Tennessee.
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1 large egg white
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease or paper-line a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, quick-cooking oats, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Beat milk, egg white and oil in a small bowl. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just blended. Pour into prepared muffin tin and bake for 15 minutes, or until tops spring back when gently touched. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 18 muffins.
- Blueberry: Add 1 cup berries, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Pineapple: Add 1 cup crushed pineapple with juice, reduce milk to 3/4 cup.
- Apple: add 1 cup chopped apples, 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 cup raisins (optional), 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional).
- Cranberry: Add 1 cup chopped cranberries, 3/4 cup orange juice, add 1/4 cup more granulated sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, reduce milk to 3/4 cup.
- Pumpkin: Add 1 cup pumpkin, reduce milk to 1/2 cup, add 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 cup raisins (optional).