Oat Drop Biscuits
Oats add whole grain goodness to these quick and easy drop biscuits, great for serving with most types of meals.
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda in a large bowl, mixing well. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add buttermilk all at once; stir with fork just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not over-mix.)
- Drop dough by large spoonfuls 2-inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm.
Makes 16 biscuits.
Tip: No buttermilk on hand? Substitute with soured milk: Place 1 tablespoon and 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar in a glass measuring cup and add milk to measure 1 1/2 cups. Let set for a minute or two, then proceed with recipe.