Oatmeal Pan Rolls
Whole wheat and oatmeal add nutty sweetness to these versatile bread rolls. Spread them with jam for breakfast, pile them with thinly sliced meats or cheeses for lunch, or use them for soaking up gravy at dinner.
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast, or 4 1/2 teaspoons
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups water
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 large egg
1 large egg, separated
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- Combine first additions of whole wheat and all-purpose flours, yeast and salt in large bowl; set aside.
- Heat water, honey and butter in saucepan over low heat until very warm (about 125°F to 130°F / 55°C). Gradually stir honey mixture into dry ingredients until well blended. Stir in remaining whole wheat flour, egg, and egg yolk (reserve egg white to brush roll tops).
- Stir first addition of oatmeal and wheat germ; add enough of remaining all-purpose flour to make soft dough. Knead until smooth, about 10 minutes. Shape into a ball; cover and let rest 15 minutes.
- Grease 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Shape into 24 equal balls; place in baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes. Brush with egg white; sprinkle remaining oatmeal over top.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.
Makes 12 dinner rolls.