Pear-Ginger Oat Scones
Enjoy these tender, moist and pear-laden, ginger-spiced oat scones with your morning cup of coffee.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar - divided use
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh peeled pear (about 1 medium)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Lightly spray large cookie sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
- Combine dry ingredients, reserving 2 teaspoons sugar for topping, in a large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Combine yogurt, egg and vanilla in a small bowl, mixing well. Add to dry ingredients; mix just until moistened. Gently stir in chopped pear.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto prepared cookie sheet. Sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon of remaining sugar on each scone.
- Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm.
Makes 8 scones.