Pineapple Upside-Down Muffins
The upside for this recipe is that bran muffins have never tasted so good!
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
3/4 cup pecan halves
1 1/2 cups bran flakes
1 (8-ounce) pineapple chunks, crushed
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Combine brown sugar and melted butter in a bowl; mix well. Spoon into a greased muffin tin; top with pecan halves, divided evenly.
- In a large bowl, combine bran flakes, crushed pineapple chunks, and milk. Let stand for 2 minutes. Add egg and oil. Stir in chopped pecans.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar; blend into bran mixture. Stir just until moistened.
- Spoon into muffin tins about 2/3 full.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F (205°C) oven for 25 minutes, or until brown. Remove from oven. Invert onto wire racks. Let cool.
Makes 12 muffins.