Pumpkin and Candied Ginger Muffins
Richly spiced pumpkin muffins made with crystallized ginger.
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
5 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 (15-ounce) can unsweetened pumpkin
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, melted
4 large eggs
1/2 cup apple juice
1 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 12-cup muffin tins or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg and cloves; make a well in the center.
- In another bowl, combine the pumpkin, brown sugar and butter, stir until blended; add the eggs and stir well, then add the juice and stir well. Pour mixture into well. Mix batter until just moistened; do not over mix. Fold in the chopped ginger.
- Fill prepared muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan on wire rack.
Makes 24 muffins.