Pumpkin Apple Cider Bread
Two favorite fall ingredients are combined in this delicious quick bread recipe.
1 cup apple cider
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup canned pumpkin purée
2 large eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a saucepan boil the cider until it is reduced to about 1/4 cup; set aside to cool.
- In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, mace, cinnamon, cloves and walnuts. Set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together the pumpkin purée, eggs, oil, brown sugar, zest, and the reduced cider. Add the flour mixture and stir the batter until it is just combined. Transfer to a greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan and bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes on rack before removing. Cool completely on rack. Store tightly wrapped.
Makes 1 loaf.