A wonderful cornbread to serve with supper on a cool autumn or winter's evening.
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided use
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
2 tablespoons honey
1 cup pumpkin purée (not pie filling)
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté for 5 minutes or until softened and golden brown.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Combine honey, pumpkin purée, eggs, buttermilk and onion in another bowl.
- Place remaining 3 tablespoons butter in 9 x 9 x 2-inch square baking pan. Place in oven until butter is melted. Swirl pan to coat with butter. Pour butter into pumpkin mixture; stir to combine. Add pumpkin mixture to dry ingredients. Stir just until evenly moistened. Pour into pan; smooth top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm, cut into squares.
Makes 9 servings.