Pumpkin Walnut Bran Muffins
Recipe courtesy of Walnut Marketing Board.
2 1/2 cups raisin bran cereal
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée
1/4 cup milk
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup California walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Grease or line a 12-cup muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together cereal, pumpkin, milk, eggs and oil.
- In a medium bowl, stir flour, brown sugar, packed, baking powder and spices until well combined.
- Stir flour mixture and walnuts into pumpkin mixture.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted through side of muffin top comes out clean.
Makes 12 muffins.
For Pumpkin Cream Cheese Filling:
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place a heaping teaspoon of cream cheese filling on top of muffin batter before baking.
For Walnut Crunch Topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup chopped California walnuts
1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- Combine all ingredients and sprinkle on top of muffin batter before baking.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 173; Calories From Fat: 33; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 36mg; Total Carbs: 26g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 5g; Sodium: 175mg; Potassium: 207mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Walnut Marketing Board.