Shaker Cheddar Bread
Sharp cheddar cheese and applesauce contribute complementary flavors and texture to this whole wheat quick bread.
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, well beaten
1/3 cup applesauce
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups firmly packed grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon dried dill (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine the flours, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the beaten eggs with the applesauce and milk. Whisk together until well blended. Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir vigorously until completely mixed. Stir in the cheese and optional dill.
- Pour the mixture into an oiled, 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned and a knife inserted into the center tests clean.
- Remove from the pan after 10 to 15 minutes and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Makes 1 loaf.