Strawberry Bran Muffins
These deliciously healthy muffins provide breakfast on the go and three food groups as well.
3 cups natural bran
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs, beaten
2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup molasses
1 cup fresh or frozen diced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In large bowl, mix together bran, flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, canola oil and molasses; pour into bran mixture and stir just enough to moisten, being careful not to over mix. Fold in strawberries.
- Divide mixture evenly into 2 (12-count) non-stick muffin tins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand for two minutes before removing muffins from tin.
Makes 24 muffins.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/24 of recipe; 1 muffin): Calories 130; Total Fat 4g; Saturated Fat 0.5g; Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 135mg; Carbohydrates 23g; Fiber 4g; Protein 4g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.