Strawberry Crunch Muffins
Recipe courtesy of the Wheat Foods Council and Chef Gale Gand.
1 cup fat-free plain or vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup fat-free milk
2 large eggs
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed, packed
1 cup low-fat granola
2 tablespoons wheat germ
2 tablespoons oat bran
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Line muffin pan with paper liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine yogurt, applesauce, milk and eggs; blend well.
- In medium bowl, combine flours, brown sugar, granola, wheat germ, oat bran, baking soda and salt.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients just until moistened. Fold in strawberries.
- Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean.
Makes 12 muffins.
Recipe courtesy of "Food for Thought: From Parents to Children" - a cookbook created from the collaboration of the Wheat Foods Council, Chef Gale Gand and parents around the country. By purchasing the book for $3.50, you can support Spoons Across America, a not-for-profit organization dedicated to educating children, teachers and families about the benefits of healthy eating. The 35 nutritious and flavorful wheat-based recipes found within the book are fun to make and will help teach children about nutritious food choices.
Cookbooks are available at www.wheatfoods.org. If you have any questions, contact email@example.com.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 166; Total Fat: 3g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 36mg; Total Carbs: 34g; Protein: 5g; Sodium: 459mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Wheat Foods Council.