Sweet Potato Biscuits
Serve these golden-hued, sweet potato biscuits hot out of the oven for breakfast or as an addition to almost any type of meal.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups fresh sweet potatoes (yams), cooked and mashed or 2 (15-ounce) cans sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
4 tablespoons light margarine, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg; stirring well.
- In another bowl, combine sweet potatoes, margarine, and vanilla; add to flour mixture stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Sprinkle flour on a work surface (waxed paper).
- Turn dough out on floured surface and knead about ten times.
- Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness; cut into rounds with 2-inch round cutter.
- Place rounds on baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.
Makes 24 biscuits.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/24 of recipe): CAL 93.24 (11% from fat); FAT 1.59g; PROTEIN 1.807g; CARB .83g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 88.59mg
Created by Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission spokesperson, Holly Clegg.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.