Sweet Potato Buttermilk Cornbread
A moist and delicious, golden-hued buttermilk cornbread made with nutritious sweet potatoes.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups peeled and grated sweet potatoes
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl, beat egg until frothy. Stir in buttermilk and sweet potato.
- Pour SweetPotato mixture into flour mixture, stirring just until blended.
- Pour batter into greased 9 x 9 x 2-inch square baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes or until center springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories 162, protein 4 g, carbohydrate 26 g, fat 5 g, cholesterol 29 mg, sodium 336 mg, Vitamin A 3,559 IU, fiber 2g.
Recipe courtesy of North Carolina Sweetpotato Commission.