Tropical Upside-Down Muffins
Serve these tasty tropical-flavored mini cakes warm.
3/4 cup butter, softened - divided use
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup diced pineapple
3/4 cup diced papaya
3/4 cup papaya nectar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease 12 custard cups or ramekins; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt 1/4 cup of the butter. Add brown sugar, pineapple and papaya. Stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Divide mixture evenly among prepared cups.
- In another pan, combine remaining 1/2 cup butter with papaya nectar. Heat, stirring, just until butter melts. Cool to lukewarm, then stir in eggs.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in egg mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in nuts.
- Spoon batter over fruit in cups. Arrange cups on baking sheet and bake 25 minutes or until muffins spring back when lightly pressed.
- Invert onto individual plates and serve warm.
Makes 12 muffins.