Yummie Sweet Potato Rolls
Golden-hued sweet potato dinner rolls are perfect for serving at fall and winter holiday meals, as well as all types of meals year-round.
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup sweet potatoes, hot mashed
2 teaspoons salt
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 pint lukewarm milk
1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry granular yeast
2 large eggs
6 cups sifted all-purpose flour (approximately)
- Mix shortening with sweet potatoes, salt and sugar.
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk and add to sweet potato mixture.
- Beat eggs in bowl in which dough is to be mixed. Pour in sweet potato mixture and stir well. Add flour to make a soft dough. Rub surface with melted shortening. Cover and leave in warm place to rise to double in bulk.
- Form into rolls and let rise again until double in bulk.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F (205°C) oven for 15 minutes or until done.
Makes 5 dozen dinner rolls. (These rolls freeze well.)
Recipe courtesy of North Carolina Sweetpotato Commission.