A lot of effort goes into the preparation of this special artichoke quiche, but the end results are worth it. For a shortcut, use canned or frozen artichoke hearts.
3 medium artichokes
1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar
1 quart water
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup sour cream
4 large eggs
1/2 cup half-and-half
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup ham, chopped
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bend back the outer leaves of the artichokes until they snap off easily near the base. The edible portion should remain on the artichoke. Continue to snap off and discard dark green leaves until the central core of pale green is reached. Cut off the top 2-inches of artichoke; discard. Cut the stem to 1-inch or less. Trim the outer dark green layer from the artichoke bottom. Remove fuzzy center; discard.
- Place in acidulated water. (vinegar and water mixture)
- Cut artichokes into thin wedges.
- Melt the butter and sauté artichokes wedges, onion and garlic until tender.
- Combine sour cream, eggs and half-and-half; mix until well blended. Add shredded Swiss cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Add ham if desired. Mix thoroughly and pour into pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325°F (160°C). for about 25 minutes or until set. Cool for about 25 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.