Banana Stuffed French Toast with Banana Cream
Banana and nut stuffed French toast served with a dollop of banana cream and maple syrup.
1 whole loaf of light bread, unsliced
4 small or 2 large just ripe bananas
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
4 large eggs
3/4 cup milk or light cream
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 unsalted butter
1 small ripe banana
1 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup powdered sugar
Maple syrup for accompaniment
- Slice the loaf as follows: Cut bread in 1-inch slices and then make pockets in bread by cutting down through side of slice not all the way through.
- Peel the bananas and cut each one into 3 lengthwise slices; if you're using large bananas, cut them in half first. Lay 3 slices inside each pocket, making a banana sandwich. Sprinkle the tops of the bananas with a tablespoon of brown sugar and about 2 tablespoons of chopped nuts.
- In a large bowl, lightly whisk the eggs until frothy, then whisk in the milk, sugar and vanilla. Set aside. Put 1 tablespoon of the butter in a skillet just slightly larger than your bread and place it on the burner with the heat off.
- Make the banana cream: Mash the banana with a potato masher and scrape it onto a plate. Cover with plastic and place in the freezer. Pour the cream into the same bowl you mashed the banana in and beat it with an electric mixer until it holds soft peaks. Add powdered sugar and beat until it stiffens a little more, then beat the banana in on low speed. Cover and refrigerate.
- Begin heating the butter over medium heat. Once it has melted, quickly rewhisk the egg mixture, then dip both sides of the sandwich into it, letting it saturate for 5 to 6 seconds. Place the sandwich in the skillet and fry over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- If you would like to serve these all at once, put them on serving plates and hold in a preheated low oven. Add another tablespoon of butter to the skillet and repeat for the remaining sandwiches. This can be done with a larger skillet, but may cause some smoking from butter.
- Serve hot with maple syrup and a big dollop of the banana cream on top.
Makes 6 servings.