Black Walnut Banana Pancakes
The distinct taste of black walnuts, in combination with banana, contribute incredible flavor to these pancakes.
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped black walnuts, toasted*
2 medium bananas, sliced 1/2-inch thick
Maple syrup for accompaniment
- Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in mixing bowl.
- Beat the eggs in separate bowl; stir in milk and butter.
- Add the liquid mixture to dry ingredients, stirring just until blended. Fold in the walnuts and bananas.
- Heat greased griddle or skillet over medium heat or to 375°F (190°C). Griddle is ready when a few drops of water bubble and skitter rapidly around.
- For each pancake, pour scant 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until puffed, bubbly and dry around edges. Turn and cook other sides until golden brown. Serve with maple syrup.
Makes 10 (4-inch) pancakes.
*To toast walnuts, place on baking sheet and bake at 350°F (175°C) until lightly browned and aromatic, about 5 minutes.