Blackberry Breakfast Bars
These fruit-filled breakfast bars make great addition to a family gathering for brunch.
2 cups blackberries (or raspberries)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup quick cooking rolled (old-fashioned) oats
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- For Filling: In a medium saucepan combine berries, sugar, water, lemon juice and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for about 8 minutes or till slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- For Bars: In a mixing bowl stir together flour, oats, brown sugar, packed, cinnamon, and baking soda. Stir in melted butter until thoroughly combined. Set aside 1 cup of the oat mixture for topping. Press remaining oat mixture into an ungreased 9x9x2-inch pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Carefully spread filling on top of baked crust. Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture. Lightly press reserved oat mixture into filling.
- Bake in the 350°F (175°C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes more or until topping browns.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Makes 18 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Oregon Raspberry and Blackberry Commission.