Blini with Smoked Salmon and Sour Cream Dressing
Blini, thin buckwheat yeast pancakes, with an orange-scented smoked salmon filling and drizzled with a delicious sour cream dressing.
1 1/2 cups milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 (.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
3/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
4 tablespoons butter - divided use
Smoked Salmon Filling:
1 cup flaked smoked salmon
3 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
Sour Cream Dressing:
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or parsley
- To prepare Blini (buckwheat pancakes): Combine milk and butter in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave on HIGH in 1-minute increments until butter is melted, stirring between each minute. Cool to warm (110°F.).
- Sprinkle yeast over surface of milk and let stand about 5 minutes to dissolve yeast.
- In separate mixing bowl, combine flours, sugar and salt. Pour milk mixture over dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place for about an hour or until the mixture is bubbly and has expanded by about a third. (At this point, resulting batter can be refrigerated overnight and recipe completed the following day.)
- Add eggs to batter, stirring to deflate bubbles made by yeast.
- Heat heavy skillet over high heat; reduce heat to medium-high.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in skillet; drop small spoonfuls of batter to form small pancakes into skillet. Cook until the edges look a bit dry and small bubbles form at the surface of the pancakes. Flip to cook other side; remove from skillet when second side is browned. Stack on wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining batter until done.
- Prepare Smoked Salmon Filling: In a small bowl, combine salmon, orange juice and peel; set aside.
- Prepare Sour Cream Dressing: In a small bowl, combine sour cream, celery, green onion, salt and pepper; set aside.
- To assemble: Top each blini (pancake) with a dollop of sour cream dressing; place about a tablespoon of salmon mixture on top of dressing and sprinkle with dill and additional pepper if desired.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients. Arrange on serving platter garnished with extra dill sprigs.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 30 blini.