Enjoy to your health the great taste of these low-fat, nutrient and fiber-rich blueberry and bran pancakes.
2 large egg whites
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup bran flakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup blueberries
Butter or margarine for accompaniment
Maple syrup for accompaniment
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer at medium speed until foamy.
- Stir in buttermilk, oil, and bran flakes; set aside for 7 minutes.
- Stir in flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. After well blended, fold in blueberries.
- For each pancake, pour 1/4 cup onto a preheated and greased griddle and cook until puffy and golden, turning when bubbles form on top and the edges appear dry.
- Serve with butter and maple syrup.
Makes 5 servings.