Blueberry Stuffed French Toast
A delicious baked French toast casserole made with cubes of challah bread, cream cheese and blueberries.
1 (14-ounce) loaf of egg challah bread
4 ounces cream cheese
2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen - divided use
8 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Remove crust from bread; cut into 1-inch cubes (makes about 10 cups). Cut cream cheese into small cubes (makes about 1 cup).
- Grease a 9 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish. Place half of the bread cubes in the dish.
- Sprinkle cream cheese cubes and 1 cup of the blueberries over the bread. Top with remaining bread cubes and blueberries.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, maple syrup and butter. Carefully pour over bread mixture.
- Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour, covering with aluminum foil if edges brown too much
- To serve, cut into squares. Accompany with additional maple syrup, if desired.
Makes 9 servings.