Blueberry Breakfast Bonanza
Recipe courtesy of the American Egg Board.
1 (12-ounce) loaf French bread, cubed, about 6 cups
1 (16-ounce) package frozen blueberries (or 3 cups fresh), reserve 1 cup
12 ounces Neufchatel cheese, softened
1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup low-fat milk
1/2 cup maple syrup
10 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Additional maple syrup for serving (optional)
- Coat a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray; place bread cubes inside. Sprinkle blueberries on top.
- In a large bowl beat Neufchatel cheese until smooth. Add sour cream, brown sugar, packed, milk and maple syrup, continue beating until smooth.
- Add eggs, cinnamon and vanilla extract; continue beating until mixture is blended. Pour over bread and berries.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake covered in a preheated 350°F (175°C) for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking until no signs of visible liquid egg or about 20 to 25 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle remaining blueberries on top and serve with additional maple syrup if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
Makes 10 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/10 of recipe): Calories: 418; Total Fat: 17g; Cholesterol: 247mg; Total Carbs: 52g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 14g; Sodium: 441mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Egg Board.