Cheese 'N Honey Toast
Recipe courtesy of the American Egg Board.
16 (1/2-inch) slices French bread (8 ounce loaf)
4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
1/2 cup honey
4 large eggs
1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped, toasted pecans
2 tablespoons butter
- Spread 8 slices of bread with cream cheese. Top each slice with another French bread slice. Place 8 cream cheese sandwiches in an 8x8x2-inch casserole dish. Combine honey, eggs, half-and-half and cinnamon in a bowl; beat until blended.
- Pour batter mixture over sandwiches, turning sandwiches in batter. Refrigerate overnight or several hours, turning sandwiches several times to absorb batter.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat; melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Remove sandwiches from batter, place sandwiches in skillet and brown both sides, flipping again, if necessary, to make sure batter is cooked and sandwiches are crisp (about 2 minutes).
- Repeat cooking process using additional butter to brown other sandwiches.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts and serve with honey*.
Makes 4 servings.
*May also serve topped with banana slices.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 544; Total Fat: 23g; Cholesterol: 297mg; Total Carbs: 69g; Protein: 15g; Sodium: 625mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Egg Board.