Chilaquiles de Huevos with Queso Cheese
Crispy fried tortilla squares add a nice crunch to this South-of-the-border egg and cheese dish. A great dish to serve anytime of the day.
6 stale corn tortillas
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup white onion, finely chopped
1 to 2 fresh serrano or jalapeño chiles, seeded and finely chopped*
6 large eggs
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 tablespoons half-and-half or milk
6 ounces shredded Wisconsin Queso Quesadilla, Monterey Jack or Queso Asadero Cheese
Red or green salsa for accompaniment (optional)
Sour cream for accompaniment (optional)
- Cut tortillas into 1-inch squares and fry them in oil and butter until slightly crisp.
- Add onions and chiles. Sauté 1 to 2 minutes with the tortilla squares.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs with salt and cream or milk. Add to skillet and mix well. Cook just until eggs begin to set.
- Add cheese and continue cooking until the cheese melts.
- Serve immediately topped with a dollop of sour cream and salsa, if desired.
Makes 3 to 4 servings.
*Or substitute with 2 tablespoons canned diced mild green chiles.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.