Chorizo and Pepper Frittata
Recipe courtesy of the American Egg Board.
6 ounces fresh chorizo sausage, casing removed
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
12 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
4 ounces queso fresco, crumbled*
- Coat large nonstick skillet with oven-proof handle with cooking spray. Cook chorizo over medium heat, breaking into crumbles, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Pour off drippings.
- Add bell pepper to skillet; sauté until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour in eggs; mix lightly and sprinkle with cilantro. Gently scramble eggs over medium heat 1 minute. Cover and cook until eggs are almost set, 6 to 8 minutes. Uncover skillet; sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil 6-inch from heat until eggs are completely set in center, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cut into wedges to serve.
Makes 6 servings.
*Queso fresco is a fresh crumbly Mexican cheese. A fresh goat cheese or a mild feta can be substituted.
- To make handle oven-proof, wrap it completely in aluminum foil.
- 3 ounces cured chorizo sausage link, finely chopped can be substituted for fresh chorizo. Sauté just until heated through, about 1 minute.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 306; Total Fat: 22g; Saturated Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 454mg; Total Carbs: 4g; Fiber: 0g; Protein: 22g; Sodium: 516mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Egg Board.