Classic Quiche Lorraine
Classic quiche Lorraine, a savory custard-filled pastry-crusted pie made with eggs, cream, Swiss cheese, bacon and a kiss of nutmeg.
4 strips of bacon
1/4 cup chopped peeled onion
1 (9-inch) baked pie shell
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
4 large eggs
1 1/3 heavy cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Fry strips of bacon in a skillet until crisp; remove, crumble, and set aside.
- Cook onion until transparent in small amount of the bacon drippings; drain.
- Sprinkle the bacon and onion over the bottom of a baked pie shell. Cover with Swiss cheese.
- Blend together eggs, milk, salt, dry mustard, white pepper and nutmeg; pour over the cheese.
- Bake 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350°F (175°C) and bake for 30 to 35 minutes longer, or until the center is set.
Makes 8 servings.