More accurately called a strata, this hearty egg, sausage and bread casserole can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
1 pound ground sausage
1/2 cup chopped peeled onion
6 large eggs
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup whipping cream
2 cups (1/2-inch pieces) French bread
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
2 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/4 cup chopped seeded green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup sliced black olives
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- In a large skillet crumble sausage and cook with onion until sausage is browned; drain thoroughly.
- In a medium bowl beat together eggs, cream cheese and cream until smooth. Stir in bread pieces, Swiss cheese, zucchini, green bell pepper, celery, black olives, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Transfer to sausage mixture and toss until mixed together. Pour into greased 10-inch springform pan, or 9-inch square cake pan.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until center is firm.
Makes 8 servings.