Creme Caramel French Toast
French toast baked in the oven in caramel sauce and inverted to serve, topped with a dollop of sour cream.
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 pound loaf of sliced cinnamon raisin bread
6 large eggs
2 cups milk
2 cups half-and-half
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
Sour cream for accompaniment
- In a saucepan combine the corn syrup, brown sugar, and butter. Cook until smooth and bubbly. Spread in the bottom of an 17 x 11-inch baking pan.
- Overlap bread slices in pan over syrup.
- In a bowl mix eggs, milk, half-and-half, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Pour over bread slices. Allow to set for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Bake, covered, at 350°F (175°C) for 45 minutes, then remove cover. Bake for additional 10 to 15 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Slice and invert pieces to serve. Garnish with dollops of sour cream.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.