Crustless Basque Quiche
With tons of taste but little fat, this light and luscious quiche is the perfect choice when losing a little weight is on your mind. Serve with fresh fruit salad and biscuits.
3 tablespoons bread crumbs
1 teaspoon canola oil
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
2 medium Roma tomatoes, juiced and chopped (about 3/4 cup)
6 ounces ham, or Canadian bacon, chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
1/2 of a 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 cup nonfat half-and-half
1 cup egg substitute
1 cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray a 9-inch glass pie pan with non-stick spray. Dust the bottom and sides of the pan with the breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion; sauté 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and sauté until beginning to soften, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the ham and bell pepper. Spoon into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Place the cornstarch, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl; slowly whisk in the half-and-half to blend. Whisk in the egg substitute and pour the mixture into the pan. Top with the mozzarella.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until puffed and set.
- Let the quiche rest for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle chopped parsley on top, if desired. Cut in wedges and serve.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 200 calories; Protein: 16 grams; Fat: 7 grams; Sodium: 480 milligrams; Cholesterol: 40 milligrams; Saturated Fat: 3 grams; Carbohydrates: 15 grams; Fiber: 1 grams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.