Diner Griddle Cakes
The vanilla yogurt and buttermilk contributes to the tenderness of these pancakes as well as giving them a subtle sourdough-like flavor that goes well with butter and warm maple syrup.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoons baking soda
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoons salt
2 large eggs
1 cup vanilla yogurt
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 to 4 tablespoons butter to grease griddle
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs; add yogurt and mix well. Stir in buttermilk and melted butter.
- Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients all at once and whisk just until moistened.
- Heat griddle and 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat (300ºF / 150ºC for electric griddle).
- Pour 1/4 cup batter into griddle for each pancake. Cook 2 to 3 minutes until underside is golden, then flip. Cook 3 to 4 minutes more, until center springs back when gently pressed. Use additional butter, if necessary to prepare remaining batter.
Makes 24 pancakes.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.