Fabulous Oatmeal Pancakes with Variations
Serve these hearty oatmeal pancakes as is or choose one of the suggested variations like blueberry, banana or apple.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
1 medium-size ripe banana, mashed, plus 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup finely chopped apple, 1/4 cup chopped nuts plus 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup semisweet or white chocolate chips
- In large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder and salt; mix well.
- In medium bowl, combine milk, egg and oil; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix)
- Stir in one of the Variations, if desired; mix gently.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat, or preheat electric skillet or griddle to 375°F (190°C).
- Lightly grease skillet. For each pancake, pour 1/4 cup batter into hot skillet. Turn when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked, turn and cook until golden brown.
Makes 12 (4-inch) pancakes.