Gran Marnier French Toast
Gran Marnier, cinnamon-kissed French toast, dusted with powdered sugar and served with maple syrup.
6 large eggs
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup Grand Marnier or other orange-flavored liqueur
1 1/2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 slices whole-wheat bread, preferably slightly stale
3 tablespoons butter for frying
Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 200°F (95°C).
- In a large shallow baking dish whisk together eggs, orange juice, milk, liqueur, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Add 4 bread slices and soak 2 minutes. Turn slices over and soak 2 minutes more. Transfer soaked bread slices to a plate and repeat procedure with remaining 4 bread slices.
- In a large heavy skillet or griddle, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons butter over medium heat until foam subsides; cook half of coated bread slices until golden, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in oven. Cook remaining bread slices in same manner.
- Dust French toast with powdered sugar and serve with syrup.
Makes 4 servings.