Ham and Almond Pastry Ring
Bring the brunch crowd in with this delicious, savory ham pastry ring made with refrigerated crescent rolls. Serve along with Four Fruit Salad, Asparagus Spears with Citrus-Ginger Dip, and other brunch favorites.
1 cup cooked ham, diced
1/2 cup chive and onion cream cheese spread
2 tablespoons Caesar or Italian dressing
1 large apple, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup grapes, red or green, quartered
1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
2 (8-ounce) cans refrigerated crescent rolls
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup almonds, finely chopped
Nonstick cooking spray
- In large bowl, blend cream cheese spread and dressing. Add ham, apple, grapes, onion and green pepper; gently stir until coated. Set aside.
- Line a large baking sheet with heavy foil. Lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Unroll both cans of crescent rolls and separate. On prepared baking sheet arrange triangles overlapping with shortest side of each roll toward center leaving 5-inch circle open in center. Points of crescent dough may hang over edge of baking sheet. Press overlapping dough to flatten and close center circle to 4-inches.
- Spoon mixture evenly over widest part of dough. Pull points of dough over filling and tuck dough under dough in center to form ring. (Some filling will be visible.) Brush dough evenly with beaten egg and sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake in preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and pastry in inner circle is baked. (If necessary, loosely cover outer edge of pastry with foil during the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent over-browning.)
- Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Using large spatula, carefully slide onto large serving platter.*
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
*If desired, use foil to lift and transfer pastry ring to serving platter. Cut foil in center of ring and underneath pastry ring; pull foil pieces to remove.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 385 calories; Protein: 12 grams; Fat: 23 grams; Sodium: 573 milligrams; Cholesterol: 58 milligrams; Saturated Fat: 8 grams; Carbohydrates: 30 grams; Fiber: 1 grams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.