Honey Bun French Toast
Recipe courtesy of the American Egg Board.
6 large eggs
2 cups regular or fat free half-and-half
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans
12 slices loaf bread (white or whole wheat)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
- In a medium sized bowl beat together eggs, half-and-half, vanilla extract and sugar; set aside.
- Mix together in a small bowl brown sugar, packed and cinnamon.
- Spray a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with vegetable spray and place 6 slices of bread in bottom of casserole dish. Sprinkle with half of brown sugar, packed mixture and top with half of pecans. Pour half of egg batter mixture over bread, pressing liquid into bread slices. Place remaining bread slices on top and repeat layers. Press liquid into bread slices to make sure all edges are covered. Refrigerate overnight.
- Bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until French toast is puffy.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and milk; using a wire whisk beat until smooth. Drizzle glaze randomly over top of toast.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Egg Board.