The cottage cheese and beaten egg whites contribute to the tender, light-as-air texture of these incredible pancakes.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
5 large eggs, separated - egg whites beaten until stiff
1 cup sour cream
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- Stir together flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar in mixing bowl.
- Beat egg yolks in separate bowl until lemon-yellow in color. Slowly add sour cream and cottage cheese. Blend well.
- Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients, stirring just until blended. Fold in egg whites.
- Heat greased griddle or skillet over medium heat or to 375°F (190°C). Griddle is ready when a few drops of water bubble and skitter rapidly around.
- For each pancake, pour scant 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until puffed, bubbly and dry around edges. Turn and cook other sides until golden brown.
Makes 10 (4-inch) pancakes.