Make-Ahead French Toast
Take a little time to make in advance a large batch of homemade French toast and freeze for the convenience of a quick and easy breakfast on another day. Simply reheat the frozen slices in the toaster and enjoy.
12 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
12 slices bread
1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 500°F (260°C).
- In medium bowl, beat together eggs and milk until well blended. Pour half of the egg mixture into a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Place 6 of the bread slices in the egg mixture. Turn slices and let stand until egg mixture is absorbed. Place on heavily buttered baking sheet. Repeat with remaining egg mixture and bread slices.
- Bake for 6 minutes. Turn slices. Spread with butter, if desired. Continue baking until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately or freeze for later use.
- To Freeze: Cool toast slices on wire rack. Return to baking sheets. Freeze in single layer 1 to 2 hours. Wrap in individual-serving portions or stack slices and wrap. Return to freezer. Store up to 1 month.
- To Serve Frozen Toast: Reheat single servings in toaster or place unwrapped slices on ungreased baking sheets and bake in preheated 375°F (190°C) oven until hot, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Makes 8 servings.
Variation: For cinnamon French toast, add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon to the beaten egg mixture.