Nutty Breakfast Parfait
Recipe courtesy of Walnut Marketing Board.
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup California Walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 teaspoons butter
2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 cup blueberries
1 cup kiwifruit, peeled and cubed (about 3 kiwifruit)
2 cups thinly sliced, peeled peaches (about 4 medium peaches)
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 cups non-fat plain yogurt
- Mix oats and walnuts in 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Combine 1/4 cup of the maple syrup and butter in small heavy saucepan. Bring to boil. Pour maple syrup mixture over oat mixture; stir to blend well.
- Bake 10 minutes in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven, stirring occasionally. Bake until mixture is golden and crisp, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes longer. Cool granola completely in pan. (Can be prepared one week ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.)
- Gently toss strawberries, peaches, blueberries, kiwifruit and remaining 3 tablespoons maple syrup in large bowl to blend.
- Divide half of the kiwifruit mixture among 6 parfait or wine glasses. Sprinkle each parfait with half the granola mixture, dividing equally. Top each with half the yogurt. Repeat layers. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Tip: These delicious parfaits are an excellent source of vitamin C, folacin, magnesium and zinc.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 273; Calories From Fat: 25; Total Fat: 8g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 5mg; Total Carbs: 45g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 9g; Sodium: 77mg; Potassium: 630mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Walnut Marketing Board.