Sausage Brunch Casserole
Recipe courtesy of the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council.
1 pound pork sausage links, casings removed
2/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cup medium hot picante sauce
1 (8.5-ounce) package corn muffin mix
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese - divided use
1/4 cup half-and-half
1 large egg
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup sliced black olives
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Grease 10-inch glass pie plate.
- In a large, 12-inch skillet, crumble the pork sausage and brown. Drain excess fat.
- Add onions and green pepper and continue cooking until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in drained black beans and the picante sauce. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine corn muffin mix, 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, the half-and-half and the egg. Stir just until moistened.
- Press mixture on bottom and up sides of the greased pie plate.
- Spoon sausage mixture into crust.
- Bake 25 minutes or until mixture is set. Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Bake 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Allow to stand 5 minutes. Cut into six wedges and serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro and black olives.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council.