Southwestern Spinach Quiche
Recipe courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.
2/3 cup corn meal
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 teaspoon salt - divided use
1 2/3 cups cold water
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Asadero or queso quesadilla cheese
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 of a (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
1 tablespoon minced jalapeño pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- For Crust: Stir together the cornmeal, butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and water in a 1 1/2 quart casserole; cover. Microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes; stir. Continue microwaving for 4 to 5 minutes or until the batter is very thick, stirring every 2 minutes.
- Spread the batter onto the bottom and sides of a (9-inch) pie plate, to form a crust.
- For Filling: In a small bowl, toss the cheese with the flour. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs; stir in the milk, spinach, peppers, garlic, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cheese mixture. Pour over the crust.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until set.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.