Superb Stuffed French Toast
Delicious, cream cheese and fresh strawberry stuffed French toast.
2 cups sliced fresh or frozen strawberries
2 tablespoons granulated sugar*
3 ounces low-fat cream cheese
1/2 cup low-fat strawberry yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract - divided use
8 slices whole wheat bread
4 large eggs
1/4 cup skim milk
- In medium bowl, stir together strawberries and sugar. Set aside.
- In food processor, blend cream cheese, strawberry yogurt, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, until smooth. Spread 2 tablespoons of cream cheese mixtures between 2 slices of bread. Repeat for remaining bread.
- Beat together eggs, milk and remaining vanilla extract until well blended. Coat filled bread slices in egg mixture.
- Warm skillet over medium heat or griddle (350°F (175°C) for electric griddle). Place bread in pan and cook on each side until lightly browned.
- To serve, top each bread slice with 1 tablespoon of remaining cream cheese mixture and 1/4 cup of reserved strawberries.
Makes 4 servings.
*Sugar may be omitted if using frozen strawberries in syrup.
Recipe provided courtesy of Iowa Egg Council.