Turkey Apple Scramble
This recipe was developed by Executive Chef Merv Minich of Nebraska City, Nebraska. It won the 2000 award for "We're Cookin' with Turkey" Recipe Competition.
2 tablespoons butter, clarified - divided use
1 tablespoon red onion, diced
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into thin wedges
4 ounces diced cooked turkey breast
1/8 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves plus sprigs for garnish
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Preheat 1 tablespoon clarified butter over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and apple until soft.
- Add turkey, toss to heat. Add pinch of thyme, salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Whip eggs as for scrambled eggs.
- In a separate skillet, heat remaining butter over medium-high heat. Add whipped eggs, stirring until evenly cooked. Remove from heat.
- Transfer eggs onto serving plate, forming a ring. Place turkey/apple mixture in center. Top with walnuts and thyme.
Makes 1 serving.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of National Turkey Federation.