Two Cheese Potato Hash
This scrumptious 'nested egg' and potato casserole makes a great entrée for a weekend breakfast get-together or brunch.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
2 (28-ounce) packages frozen hash brown potatoes with onions and peppers, thawed
1 (1-ounce) package dry ranch dressing mix
1 cup (4-ounces) freshly shredded Parmesan cheese - divided use
1 cup (4-ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese - divided use
8 large eggs
4 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Coat a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat the oil and melt the butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the hash browns and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they begin to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and add the ranch dressing mix, 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese; mix well then spoon into the baking dish. Make 8 evenly-spaced indentations in the potatoes and break an egg into each.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
- Bake for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the cheeses melt.
- Sprinkle with the scallions and serve.
Makes 8 servings.
From the kitchen of Mr. Food.
Recipe provided courtesy of the American Dairy Association.