Amaretto Pear Upside Down Cakes
Recipe courtesy of California Pear Advisory Board.
10 tablespoons butter - divided use
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons honey
2 large ripe Bartlett pears, peeled and cored
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup Amaretto or other almond flavored liquor*
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter six (1 1/4-cup) custard cups, ramekins, or giant muffin tins.
- Melt 4 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan. Add brown sugar and honey; cook over low heat for about 2 minutes until mixture no longer separates. Divide mixture evenly among prepared dishes.
- Cut each pear into 12 wedges and place 4 wedges in the bottom of each dish; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat remaining 6 tablespoon butter until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Combine milk and Amaretto in another bowl.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture, then half of the liquid, beating well after each addition.
- Repeat until all ingredients are combined.
- Pour batter into the six prepared dishes, smoothing the top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and place on a rack for 10 minutes. Carefully flip each dish over onto serving plates to remove from dish.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 12 servings.
*1 teaspoon of almond extract may be used in place of the almond liquor. If using extract, increase the milk to 3/4 cup.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 616; Total Fat: 28g; Cholesterol: 136mg; Total Carbs: 82g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 8g; Sodium: 264mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Pear Advisory Board.