Apple-Oat Upside Down Mini Cakes
Serve these apple upside-down mini oat cakes warm.
2 (4-ounce) cans spiced diced apples in light syrup
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed - divided use
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup apple juice
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Lightly grease bottoms and sides of 12 medium muffin pan cups with vegetable shortening.
- Drain apples reserving syrup.
- Spoon 5 to 6 apple pieces in a single layer onto the bottom of each muffin pan cup. Top each with 1/2 teaspoon reserved apple syrup and 1 teaspoon brown sugar.
- Combine flour, oats, granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl, mixing well.
- Combine apple juice, oil and egg in a medium bowl and mix well. Add to oat mixture; stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Divide batter evenly between muffin cups.
- Bake 16 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes.
- Loosen edges of cakes from sides of muffin cups with a knife. Place baking sheet on top of pan and invert. Carefully lift off pan. Serve cakes warm.
Makes 12 mini cakes.