Awesome Oat Cake with Broiled Topping
You'll be asked to make this moist oat cake with it's broiled coconut topping again and again.
1 1/4 cups boiling water
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Broiled Coconut Topping:
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup quick or old fashioned oats
3 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease and flour 9-inch square baking pan.
- For Cake: In a medium bowl, pour boiling water over oats and mix well; set aside.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat well. Stir in reserved oat mixture and flour mixture.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer cake in pan to wire rack.
- For Broiled Coconut Topping: In a small bowl combine all ingredients and mix well. Spread evenly over top of warm cake.
- Broil about 4-inches from heat 1 to 2 minutes or until topping is bubbly. Watch closely; topping burns easily.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack.
Makes 12 servings.